Tuesday 15 June 2010

Chicken à la Kiev, Two Styles



If this blog is anything to go by, the partner and I have clashing frequently in the kitchen these days, and not pleasantly. Locked horns, ladies and gentlemen, locked horns. On the beef stroganoff, I merely showed his mouth my hand, indicating the brain was busy elsewhere while he detailed why my grandmother's recipe for beef stroganoff didn't match his mother's (and why his mother's recipe, being more authentically 'western', was the right one). Silly ass. As if it wasn't him who slurped every last bit of gravy-soaked noodle off his plate. Anyway, the newest contention is about chicken à la Kiev. It's a simple, if somewhat labour-intensive recipe, and one of my third or fourth favourites at good old Mocambo off Park Street back home. This man, who has never so much as set foot in my city, presumed to take over the cooking from right under my nose. Normally, he would have had my blessings, but NOT if his idea of chicken from ol' Kiev is regular baked chicken, with extra dollops of butter. Come think of it, that IS regular baked chicken in my kitchen, and I'm not going to pretend it's chicken Kiev. Battle lines thus drawn, we split the chicken halfway, and got cooking on our individual recipes. And heeeeere they are!

His:
Chicken breasts, rolled or pounded thin.
Butter, preferably unsalted and at room temp.
Dill, oregano, rosemary -- shredded.
Salt.

The process is explained in pictures, except the 30mins of baking on 450F before the serving.







Mine:
A LOT more work. Be warned.

Chicken breasts, roughly chopped/minced.
Butter, frozen.
Garlic, crushed.
Salt, sugar, pepper.
Dill, oregano, rosemary -- shredded.

The pictures are also self-explanatory. I hope. We start by heating some oil/butter, and then we go on...













4 comments:

Dea-chan said...

Posted about the food we made, and some soup I'm making.

Should check it out!

Joychaser said...

rimi, chicken a la kiev. CHICKEN A LA KIEV! at home! i hadn't even conceived of the notion yet! but this looks doable. i shall try the easier method and report the extent of my success.

Joychaser said...

rimi, chicken a la kiev. CHICKEN A LA KIEV! at home! i hadn't even conceived of the notion yet! but this looks doable. i shall try the easier method and report the extent of my success.

Sue said...

The first chicken thingie looks tasty but it's not a la Kiev.